Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Launch Of Foodies Shedding Booties and Why It Took Forever to Post This!



As some of my readers may know, the end of 2014 was a bit of a roller-coaster for me. During a routine check-up, my doctor felt an abnormal lump in my throat that she wanted me to go get it checked out with an ultrasound. Being the procrastinator that I am, I put it off. It wasn't until I woke up with a really bad sore throat one day that I felt the lump myself and decided to go get it checked. It turns out that I had a very large nodule sitting on the right side of my thyroid. Now, apparently thyroid nodules are insanely common, something like 1 in 6 people have them. They usually are super tiny and mean nothing, however, mine was about two inches long… TWO INCHES!? How did I not feel this thing for so long? As you can imagine, the next few weeks comprised of a series of test, lots of poking and prodding, and stupid needles. All the tests came back “indeterminate” (oh great.), so the team of doctors I was working with strongly urged me to get surgery to remove the right side of my thyroid. Of course there was the question of the C-word which was wildly unsettling and apparently if I left it there it could ruin my vocal chords and I could lose my voice. I always wanted to be a Disney Princess, but on-land Ariel would not be my first choice.

On November 18th, I went in for my surgery. First time under the knife… pretty terrifying. After two and a half hours in the operating room, they successfully removed the nodule and sent it off to be tested. Again, I have never had any sort of surgery before so in my overly ambitious head, I figured I would be back to my old self in 4-5 days tops. Nope, I was wrong. This surgery threw me for a loop and a half. I was insanely tired, sore as hell, and could barely talk. It. Was. Torture! With the holidays right around the corner, I definitely pushed myself more than I should have which I was told held up my recovery a little bit. Now that all the holiday madness has subsided and I am FINALLY feeling like my old self, I am ready to kick things back into gear and move forward with all the fun that I had cookin’ up in Kasey’s Kitchen! Oh and after 5 weeks of testing by 6 different teams of doctors around the country, they determined the nodule was benign! (Phewf!)


Now you see, the week before I had my surgery I was in Las Vegas for the Food. Fight. Write Conference where I held the launch of my Foodies Shedding Booties movement. If you were following along on Instagram, you probably saw lots of posts from the event. It was truly a blast. 20 of my fellow Food Bloggers joined me and Las Vegas Yoga Instructor Jodi Tallo for an early morning yoga session. 





Jodi created a fantastic flow for everyone who ranged from beginner to daily yogis. After the session, the bloggers were treated to snacks provided by Pure Organics, Navitas Naturals, StonefireFlatbread, PhilosophieLittle Miracles and Essentia Water. A super special treat included a pop-up shop from my friends at Lorna Jane Activewear!



A special thanks to the girls at Lorna Jane for sharing some awesome active styles with my guests!

As I explained at this event, Foodies Shedding Booties is meant to be a movement and a mantra. It’s not about losing weight, although I can’t promise that won’t be a welcomed side effect, it’s about shedding insecurities and adding in a responsibility to your health. It’s like eating your cake and working it off too!

It is my plan to take these events around Los Angeles, and hopefully at some point the country! Attendees will enjoy a fun workout, meet new friends and foodies, oh and of course, score some killer swag! Who wouldn't be down for that?!


Filling all the awesome swag bags for the guests at the first FSB event in Las Vegas!


To stay up to date with all the Foodies Shedding Booties events, recipes, and giveaways to come, please sign up for our mailing list. We won’t load your inbox with emails, I swear!
Click here to sign up!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave a comment!